An instructable by demauvaisenouvelle
1. Prepare the beeswax and the hemp thread. We bought this beeswax at the Ljubljana market. It is best to put newspaper on the table you will be working at, because beeswax has a oily feel to it. In this case you will not get stains on the table.
2. Then put the pot on the stove which is set on low heat. It might take a while for the beeswax to heat but at least it will not heat to fast.This can cause the wax to burn and cloud your whole kitchen in smoke.
3. When the beeswax is melted put in the thread and mix it with a fork or wooden stick. It is best when the whole thread is covered in wax so that the wax absorbs into the thread. It is best to leave it there for max 5 min.
- One way is also brushing the thread with wax. This takes more time but if you need for the thread to absorb a small amount of wax this is a great solution.
4. Move the thread from the pot onto the newspaper and let it dry. To remove the excess wax run the thread through the thumb and index finger. This is one way. The other way to remove the excess beeswax is with ironing the thread.
5. You can then compare the bought thread with the bees waxed thread. The bees waxed thread is more glossy, darker and the fibers don’t stick out so much. It will also not irritate the skin because the fibers are softer.
After making the beeswax thread we have decided to use it for our Svitek and Herb jewelry because with this we support Slovenian products.
More on our Facebook page: Knit-knot
Follow us on Tumblr: Knit-knot